Retell;
Still in the year 1969, The Doors had once again found themselves performing many concerts which even includes the Toronto Rock n' Roll Revival Festival. A rather large concert that also featured the Plastic Ono Band (which was the band John Lennon played in after The Beatles). Though touring once again The Doors had found themselves in need of another album and thus releasing The Morrison Hotel, out after February 1970. Day after the albums release The Doors had done what no other American band had done; they had gotten a 5th straight gold (million dollar selling) album. Much to the fans delight this album excluded horns, pop (bubblegum) and syrup and was going back to The Doors original artistic vision. Though this time around The Doors music was considered a little under matured blues. They had not completely developed their new sound at that moment though it was quite an improvement over the past album. Though it had changed critics thought little of it thinking it to be an alright album though it would have been outstanding if it was their second album and not their 5th as all their music 'came from the same cloth that was drying out." The first side of the album entitled the Hard Rock Cafe opens with the Road house blues which has a line (Keep your eyes on the road your hand upon the wheel) that Morrison had said to his long-term, on-off girlfriend Pamela. As the album goes on we strangely learn more about Jim. For example the song Peace Frog in composed of two of Jim's mashed poems. One about his life and the other about Pam's. Though the poems are but metaphors, they speak of violence and gore (I'm going by what the book said as I never personally heard the song). This sing also has to do with the incident Morrison's family came across with Indians and the highway (that's all the information the book gives as I have no clue what they're talking about). Side two; The Morrison Hotel, contains a song called The Spy which strangely resembles the book written by Anais Nin in 1954 entitled The Spy in the House of Love (strangely a line in the song as well). According to many interviews Nin and Morrison seem to have the same perspective on society and life, though we are not sure if Morrison has ever read Nin's novel. The only other song to do with Jim and Pam is Queen of the Highway as Ray (the band's keyboard player) stated it was a great song about Jim and Pam.
Relate;
Again, other then a turning point in music I cannot relate with him, The Doors or even Pam. I don't write bloody metaphors or even poems about my life though I do write crimson flowing books but that's pushing it. I don't have a song that really sums up my life and I don't have a band to achieve what Morrison has. Perhaps I have the already explained (through previous blogs) vision of society that Morrison and Nin share but I think that's about it. For what need clarifying the vision in which I speak of is the one about societey's masks (it's probably in my blog with the word Strange in the title.)
Refelect;
I'm put back upon how little the author writes about Jim's personal life. I mean up until this point I could easily decipher things as I already knew quite a bit about Morrison but in this chapter I finally found out who Jim's girlfriend was (I could never remember her). Though I know little about their relationship at least I have a name to work with. On top of that I'm thrown back about this childhood family incident. I mean I think the scene in the movie about Jim's life past over my head but the book just says Indians and Highway, that tells me absolutely nothing and only bugs my now that I have to do my own personal research to figure this out. I mean this is a book; shouldn't it be capable of explaining things? Well other then those two annoyances, only one other thing comes to mind; ff the Doors were a great American band, why did so little people seem to like them? Perhaps it's because it's 12:30 am (when I read and wrote the rough draft) but I can't seem to figure it out. Its sad knowing such a good band wasn't supremely liked as The Beatles or Led Zeppelin. Though perhaps inferior, The Doors were still an amazing band and not being part of the British invasion and being American should make them different and special but either way I have no clue.
~Erica ?_?
No comments:
Post a Comment