Retell;
Opening with the year 1916, The Doors as well as Jim find themselves no longer influencing or even controlling the fan whirlwinds of the 60's. Also during this time Jim had derailed from being "the smartest, scariest and sexiest hero" and became "a heart-rending alcoholic and clownish jerk" as a Rolling Stone's article had published. As once again they appeared to have no control of their work. The Doors now seemed to move away from their first two albums and entered a world of plastic as the third album shows. And even so during this period of time very few songs flowed to Morrison or the band for their fourth album. As once more the album took forever to come out, starting late in 1968 and not seeing the light of day till June 1969. The 4th album was entitled the Soft Parade and it was the first Doors' album to have individual credits for the songs written. Once the Soft Parade was released the critics and older fans (who were fans from the start) seemed to hate this album calling it bubblegum and was filled with strings, horns and all that syrup while those who hated the Doors before now loved this new album. The new tone to the album was said to be Rothchild's idea (Rothchild was The Doors producer). The album begins with Tell all the people (written by Krieger (the guitarist of the band)) as the song is blasting with horns as well as mix emotions from the fans. The album once again ends appropriately using the song the Soft Parade which was pieced together using Morrison's poetic notebook. The song gets more mixed emotions as some think it's heavenly as others think it to be too simple. This album does once again seem to have the same message as the previous albums with the exception that the Soft Parade is allot more mellow. Unlike the previous albums Jim seems to now trust and embrace love rather then shun it and push it away. This showing to be another turning point in Morrison's music.
Relate;
Oh boy here comes the hard part again. Seeing Jim and his band are close to the same mood as the previous chapter, I've got very little personality bases to relate with. But on the other hand there are two things that newly came to light in this chapter that I actually can relate with. One being a musical turning point and two; Jim's random notebook. To begin with the first, over the past year I have found myself in a musical turning point. I have gone from Rock n' Roll and its spin offs (punk rock, classical rock, metallic, grunge, progressive rock, new wave, etc.) to a more gothic/gothic rock as well as darkwave and trance kind of music. While still in the off springs of rock (goth being born off punk and Darkwave being slightly darker then goth) is a pretty big change. It's actually funny to see the randomly music type order my three favorite bands find themselves in; number one being The Beatles, then The Doors followed by Malice Mizer (the band that played the back drop music during my book report). Though I still love my old bands (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, the Tea Party, Slade, Yes, etc.) I have gotten tones of new and amazing things to listen to such as E Nomie, Nox Arcana, Versailles, Malice Mizer, etc. The other thing I seem to relate with is Jim's random poetry notebook. Though mine is used for my books, music, plots and sketches, they both seem to hold the same purpose.
Reflect;
I don't have much to reflect upon since my mind is now only processing Malice Mizer and Edger Allan Poe but if anything I'm wondering why did most think the Soft Parade that bad an album? I've listening to the most of it (I could never get through the song the Soft Parade) and I didn't think it really was that horrible. And I am a fan of the "Strange days" Doors. I'm just going to have to assume to different people music sounds different.
~Erica ^-^
No comments:
Post a Comment