Friday, May 6, 2011

Waiting for the music

Retell;
This chapter opens in the year 1968 in which the Doors found themselves in a popular demand by the people, making them produce their third album in much hast. That album went by the name of Waiting for the Sun and the album, unlike the other two, took 5 months to finish up. It took so long because of Jim's many blunders causing them to retake many songs many times. The Unknown Solider took over 130 takes where as The End and When the Music's Over, two songs about 3 times as long, only took two takes! To top it off Morrison was no longer taking himself seriously as he spent his money senselessly on alcohol. This would lead to many bad things during recordings and rehearsals for example Jim passing out on the studio floor in his own urine. To make matters worst during most of these recording sessions no one would talk to Jim or even really acknowledge he was there. Despite all that the Doors came out with their third album, Waiting for the Sun. Though not as serious as the other two albums, Waiting for the Sun seems to have the same concept of false love and a need to find sanctuary while we still try to break on through other to the darkness or into the light. Waiting for the Sun would start with the song Hello, I Love You and ends with Five to One, a song portrayed of the Us vs Them. A theme that was much present in the 60's. A very strange thing about this Doors album is that it's named after the Doors' song Waiting for the Sun which would not be on this album but the album after the next. Another interesting thing about the album is the fact that one of Jim's songs; The Celebration of the Lizard was left off the album because it was a poem in which music couldn't be associated with it. The 'song' was more of a piece of Jim Morrison's artistic vision then it was the Doors'. In an interview with Bob Chorush, Jim had said the poem was a "kind of invitation to the dark forces." None the less though the song was left off, the Doors would sometimes manage to perform it live.

Relate;
The more I read this book the more I realize I really don't relate with Jim or his band. I mean I'm a teen-age girl who lives a fairly boring life. I don't spend all my money on alcohol, I don't pass out in the middle of important things and lastly how can I relate with false love and sanctuary? I've never been in a relationship so I can't relate with the false love of a lover and I've had a great life in a great house in which I can call sanctuary. I still cannot relate with Jim's insane personality as a clown even if I don't act serious all the time, I'm not as bad or clown-like as Morrison. And, on top of all that, I can't relate with being ignored and shunned by my friends, or at the least what I know of. Unless Jim is being very strange I really can't seem to relate with him or his works. Jim is a pretty unique person in which he's very hard to relate with.

Reflect;
What I'm really thrown back upon for this chapter is how many takes it took for Morrison to complete the song the Unknown Solider. Over 130 takes in comparison to The End or even When the Music's Over. I find it crazy that two ten minute songs take two recordings each and a 3 minute song takes over 130 takes! I'm so blown back by that fact that I could dwell upon it for days but there are other things I'm thinking back upon like how Jim got his nickname the Lizard King. Thanks to this part of the book I think I finally figured it out. Seeing the Celebration of the Lizard was Jim's artistic vision and he was very disappointed that the poem couldn't become a song, I'm guessing he pulled out the nickname from there. Another thing leading me to think so is the end of Not to Touch the Earth which ended was on this album. The end lyric is Jim saying; "I am the Lizard King, I can do anything." So I guessed my way through the nickname and am satisfied with my end result. The final thing I dwell on is why call the album Waiting for the Sun when that song didn't air on the album? It didn't come out for another two albums! It's false advertising I guess... Anyways thanks to this chapter I've got Love Street stuck in my head...

~Erica O.o

1 comment:

  1. I can think of worse song to be stuck in your head. Excllent overview Erica! Nice job1

    ReplyDelete